Thursday 4 July 2013

Hanase Omote or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Climb

Had a quick pre-work blast up Hanase Omote this morning. I hate that climb. It's an absolute ass-kicker and every time I do it, I get psyched out... doubly so if I do it solo. Horrid.

This morning I tried to keep my heart rate down in Zone 4 for as long as possible, to better pace myself. I also tried to breathe regularly, and from the diaphragm rather than the chest. Both seemed to help - it wasn't the fastest I've done it (far from it), but I felt comparatively fresh at the top, where I usually feel like my heart is going to explode out of my chest, Alien-style.





The weather was moody - it had just rained and it was HUMID as hell - which gave some amazing views on the way up and down. I stopped a few times on the descent for photos. Lots of mist and low cloud: very atmospheric.

Of course it started to rain very, very heavily when I got down (luckily not while I was descending...) and I got an absolute soaking on the way home. Oh well, such is life. A good little training ride anyway.

At the top, taking a well-earned few minutes rest.

My favourite switchback - absolutely stunning this morning, in the mist!

I hated that climb. No more? We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment